Weekly Updates

Interview

Who is Lynn Hoffman?
Throughout the course of this project, I’ve come to know Lynn Hoffman. She owns a ceramics studio and is the owner of Hand and Wheel Pottery. Every week, I’ve been lucky enough to spend a few hours in her studio and pick her brain for tricks and insights into the world of ceramics. She’s taught me how to use a pottery wheel and make my own pieces, as well as introduced me to other aspects of ceramics like firing in the kiln and glazing. Below are a few questions I had the opportunity to ask her in a formal interview!


1. What has been your favorite aspect of teaching pottery to both children and adults?
My favorite part of teaching is sharing my years of knowledge with students so that their work is notches above a beginners work. I believe all age groups are capable of getting any and all technical skills starting at day one.


2. What lessons do you think can be learned from creating your own work?
Making pottery (in general) is a discipline that allows a never ending opportunity for positive personal growth and satisfaction. Creating your own unique personal style and "body of work" (as opposed to copying others work) is something that usually happens after an in depth look into what you feel you would like to communicate to the world based on your personal experiences and what is important to you at the time. You may be inspired to either make beautiful functional pieces or make pieces that have a deep and profound statement for society such as a sculpture providing esthetic, social, or even political commentary. Making a difference in others lives in so many ways is infinitely possible with the arts.


3. What has been your proudest moment (or favorite) involving your own pottery?
I created and ran a community outreach fundraiser project called "The Traveling Totems" project in Ambler in 2014.  This was a nice affirmation that the experiencing the arts is seen as a pretty integral piece of experiences that are meaningful. Providing this opportunity for the local area residents was a great feeling. I was interviewed by Eric Devlin from Montgomery newspapers for this project which was then featured in a full page article in the Ambler Gazette.  


4. What words of advice can you give to anyone interested in pottery or ceramics (regarding the process, or just your own thoughts)?
Having taught pottery since 1992 I can say that pottery is a pretty addicting journey to many people. There is something so gratifying and enriching about clay as a creative material - Be ready for a long fantastic journey. From a practical standpoint and a financial standpoint, there are a lot of potters out there. Do not take it up as your major in college. Make it your plan "B", your life long amazing hobby.




Throughout this project, Lynn has personally been a HUGE help to me. She’s taught me the fundamentals of pottery and has really inspired me to continue pursuing it even after the project is over.

Here are a few images she sent me from her “Traveling Totem” community outreach program… :)

Amanda M.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram